Saturday, April 11, 2009

Driving Me Crazy.

People drive differently in Chile (and, I would argue, much of South America) than they do in the United States (except maybe getting on and off the access roads in Texas). It's a little bit dicey at times. When we first arrived here, we borrowed a vehicle and there seemed to be some hesitation about whether or not we would be able to "get around" okay with the drivers here. I assured them that I would be alright. After a couple of days, Tiffany accused me of "being one of them; and enjoying it!" Strong words. I simply smiled, thanked her, and considered it a compliment.
I've been observing the driving now for a couple of months, trying to discover whether there is any rhyme or reason to many of the driving practices seen. I have discovered much. I have come up with a decision tree that, I believe, is used by everyone here that may demonstrate how the lanes work. Here's the deal.

The main question posed is this: Should I occupy the space in the road next to the car in front of me?

To come up with the correct answer, ask yourself the following series of questions, if the answer is ever 'Yes', then occupy the space; if 'No', then proceed to the next question.
1. Is there another lane clearly marked in the space you wish to occupy?
If yes, occupy the space.
If no, proceed to question 2.
2. Is there room for two vehicles, despite the lack of appropriate lane markings?
If yes, occupy the space.
If no, proceed to question 3.
3. Is there more than the room required for only one vehicle?
If yes, occupy the space.
If no, proceed to question 4.
4. Is there any space void of hard objects, such as walls, trees, or poles next to the vehicle in question?
If yes, occupy the space.
If no, proceed to question 5.
5. Are you in a hurry?
If yes, occupy the space.
If no, proceed to question 6.
6. Do you just want to feel like you're getting somewhere faster?
If yes, occupy the space.
If no, proceed to question 7.
7. Are you driving a car behind someone else?
If yes, occupy the space.
If no, speed up until the answer to this question is 'Yes', then begin at question 1 again.

2 comments:

  1. Hey how you guys doing? The driving sounds interesting. So how does this blog thing work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about riding a scooter? I've heard in india they pile on 7 or 8 family members all on one! I'm sure tiff would say it was better than the white suburban

    ReplyDelete